1/2/08

The Probable Future by Alice Hoffman.

I'm going to be honest and say that The Probable Future could be considered a chick read. I hate to say it, but it's true. Mr U. read it and he said it was pretty good, though, I think he was only saying that because I was claiming how much I worshipped this book at the time, and if he hadn't he knew he'd have been sleeping on the couch that night. Still, some of you sensitive guys out there who had close relationships with their moms might enjoy it. Give it a try!

When I think of Alice Hoffman I think of magic written into a book so expertly that you don't even notice it. The same holds true for this book. Here we have 3 generations of women - each possessing an extraordinary gift that in our world you'd be asked what drugs you were on, but in Hoffman's world it just seems so natural. We have a distant grandmother who can smell lies. Then there is the overprotective mother who can see people's dreams. Finally, there's a rebellious daughter who, at the tender age of 13, just received the gift of knowing when someone is going to die.
(Don't worry, this stuff is on the back cover.)
The heartbreaking relationships among these women cost me 2 tissue boxes. Yes, I cry easily, but still, this was an emotional read for me, and I loved every tear of it. For several years of my life I worked at various bookstores and this was one of my top recommendations. I know more than once I had customers who came and thanked me for this one and I hope you will too!
Here's to teary reading! -Mrs. U

No comments: